Description of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger
Shell and tube heat exchanger is the recuperative heat exchanger of a closed tube bundle in the shell wall as heat transfer surface. Simple heat exchanger structure, reliable operation and made of stainless steel 304 can be used under high temperature and high pressure. Shell and tube heat exchanger consists of shell, heat transfer tube bundle, tube sheet, baffle plate, tube boxes and other components.
As a traditional type of heat exchange equipment, shell-and-tube heat exchanger has been applied for ages. It has been extensively applied in many industrial departments, especially in such industries as chemical engineering, petroleum and energy source. Shell-and-tube heat exchanger is composed of many tubes which constitute a tube bundle that serves as the heat transfer surface of heat exchanger. It is hereby also known as tubular heat exchanger.
Features of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger
- U-tube construction
- Units designed for liquid to liquid and steam to liquid applications.
- Available in 2 or 4 pass construction.
- Removable tube bundles for convenience in cleaning and inspection.
- Strong, durable construction with copper steel tubes and rugged cast-iron or steel head in standard units. (Optional materials are available).
- Coil and baffle arrangements designed to maximize heat transfer performance.
- Tubes expanded into stationary tubesheet allow for tube expansions and contractions, due to thermal fluctuations, without causing stresses on the joints. Welding tubes to the tubesheet is optional.
Advantages of Shell and Tube Heat Exchanger
The advantage of the shell and tube design cannot be ignored. Each unit comes with:
- connections that come in standardized sizes for easy assembly and feature additional thread and surface protection for clean installation
- U-bend tubes expanded into a tubesheet which allow for tube expansions and contractions due to thermal fluctuations.
- gaskets that are made of high quality compressed fibres which lends to reusability.
- a standard cast-iron or steel head for heavy duty services (also available as a spare part).
- saddle attaches which make for quick and easy mounting.
- punched baffles with minimal clearances between tubes guaranteeing correct fluid flow and minimized bypass
- a welded shell protected with high quality paint for corrosion resistance.
- copper steel tubes which allow for strong, durable performance over a wide range of applications. Unique tube bundle layout (chevron corrugated pattern) minimizes deposit buildup at the edges and optimises media flow for high velocity flow turbulence.
Applications of Shell & Tube Heat Exchanger
- Process liquid or gas cooling
- Process or refrigerant vapor or steam condensing
- Process liquid, steam or refrigerant evaporation
- Process heat removal and preheating of feed water
- Thermal energy conservation efforts, heat recovery
- Compressor, turbine and engine cooling, oil and jacket water
- Hydraulic and lube oil cooling